Sunday, March 13, 2005

not so minty anymore...

Have a few minutes while waiting for my tax return to print out...

Funny thing about reading forums is that you get reminded of stuff you put aside... far off to the side. Great Mazinger arrived in the mail some time last spring making him one of the very few in my collection that is actually considered "mint condition" for more than a few weeks. Ironically he's not particularly nostalgic to me (in fact, he's one character I know very little about from my childhood). So when I read on
Robot-Japan Forum about people wondering how long each of us waiting before tearing open boxes of shiny new toys... well, it occured to me that while Great Mazinger was on display next to Goldorak (Grendizer) and Tranzor-Z (Mazinger Z), he wasn't actually complete.

While cleaning the windows of my cabinet last night I decided... oh what the hell:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
See that little blue pentagon in his navel? That used to be a gaping empty hole. See, Great Mazinger has a spring-loaded missile that fits in there. For over a year, he stood there as an innie ...and now he's an outtie! ^_^;;
Hey waitaminit - I just also noticed that from this angle, Great Mazinger completely obscures the guy behind him, making it seem like he's got 4 arms and a couple of extra heads coming out of his shoulders! ^o^

So I cut that little plastic panel off from its factory-molded sprue. *sigh* Was nice while it lasted. But on the other hand, I guess I'm much happier now that he looks "proper" next to his super-robot brothers.

Anywho...back to work since my return just finished printing. Gonna give it the once over and then hit Netfile. Or maybe I should have lunch first... whatever.

2 comments:

Becks said...

I like to "collect" things, like glass (vases, etc) but I never saw the fun in things you couldn't play with because someday, someone else might possibly want it. it's MINE _I_ want it! :D the rest can get their own.

Ben-Ohki said...

Dunno - I just like to have my stuff in shiny-new pristine condition... having the bits and pieces not cut out of their sprues is part of that feeling.

On the other hand, that big flying saucer thingy in the back? That playset was one of my most expensive acquisitions... and I cut out all the pieces and put everything together the first night I got it (and yes, I've "flown" it around the house). ^_^;;;