Saturday, March 12, 2005

Happy happy joy joy!

Anybody remember that phrase?
Well, I finally got a response from the bank - they sent me a phone number I could call to figure out what was up with my receipts. Firstly, I'm amazed their offices were open on weekends (the guy explained that they were available on weekends but that actual transactions you wanted to make might be held up until Mondays, depending on what you wanted to do - like if you had to wait for markets to open if you were dealing in mutual funds).
Secondly, the guy had full access to check out my accounts on-line - he explained that because the term deposit I made was in the middle of the year last year, there wasn't any income for 2004 just yet (silly me, I forgot I'd redirected my GICs in July when the interest rates got better). So basically, I'm not supposed to get a tax slip for that one this year anyway. For a person who prides himself on knowing exactly what's what with his state of affairs, this is thoroughly embarrassing. ^_^;;;
Thirdly, the guy on the line was also able to confirm that my RRSP contribution went through okay and that a paper receipt for it was issued in late February... his advice was that since I knew what my contribution was anyway, I could go ahead and do my taxes but that if I still didn't receive the receipt in the mail, I should call back in a week or visit my branch and sign for a new receipt to be made out to me.

After all that, well, I got to work on my QuickTax... and guess what? For the first time since I moved here, my net balance is in the positive. I over-estimated my Ontario vs. Quebec offset to my HR department and even though a few hundred bucks comes out of my pocket temporarily, the refund from Ontario more than makes up for it. (That is, I've been deducting a little extra at source over the course of the year). What to do with all that money that'll come to me...

Y'know... I still haven't replaced that crapped out MP3 player in the car... Hmm... I wonder about the rest of the weekend. I'm gonna get myself in so much trouble. My parents aren't going to like this one bit. Ha. ^o^

No comments: