Sunday, September 11, 2005

Pics: CPU fan replaced

Because I'm honsetly out of "stuff" to blog about for now... here's a backlog topic to catch up. A little while back my CPU fan started making unusual noises. I got this through NCIX a while ago and it arrived last Thursday (conveniently on the day I was home sick). Here it is out of the packaging ready for installation...


And here it is in my PC - a box so big and messy that the unusually large CPU fan looks rather small once installed.


The verdict? Well, honestly, I don't know. It's quiet but I can't really tell since I have a fairly stock OEM power supply unit and the fan on the PSU is just as loud as the previous CPU fan was... so if it's any quieter than before, I don't know for sure! ^_^;
Secondly, for whatever reason, my motherboard doesn't seem to know that the fan is running at all. The BIOS hardware monitor reads 0rpm on the fan and gives me a "fan failed" message every time I boot up. Even the latest BIOS update doesn't smarten it up. And in case anybody asks, yes, I have ASUS PC Probe and it reads the fan at a reasonable 2100rpm just fine once I'm in Windows.

As a side note: no news from Master Replicas. I wrote back on Monday night with my address and office phone number but they didn't respond this time. Hmm... what a tease - especially after they sounded so forward about sending me a replacement ForceFX. My brother joked, "maybe they're one of those ninja-like companies and are just gonna ship something without telling you in advance." If only, eh? No worries, if something does surprise me in the mail, I'll be sure to blog about like crazy.

1 comment:

Becks said...

heh. Ninja companies. I like that. Sorry to hear you are still dealing with the FX issue! man! I love raising customer service hell when I don't get my way. ;)