Sunday, March 04, 2007

Gamenight afterglow

I wish there were an in-game facility to take screen shots. You know, something where you click a button and the game would automatically capture a screen and output it to a JPG picture file or something. Nothing as involved as copying to the Windows clipboard and then exiting the game to an image editing software to paste and save - I want something I can reasonably do on the fly in the midst of a game when I see something cool happening.

Ah well.

Last night babou, my brother, and I logged into the Cadian Gate to play a few skirmishes of Dawn of War (Dark Crusade expansions, naturally). I went with my Montreal Canadiens regalia (I lost... just like the real Habs!). Actually, we weren't having much luck in more ways than one.

Firstly, we decided since we were three players of varying degrees of experience (and ability), we went with a setup of cooperative play against some computer opponents. And since we were 3, we thought we'd ramp up the difficulty on the AI but start out outnumbering them 3 human players to 2 AIs. And anyone with experience knows that game AIs are usually hit-or-miss affairs. It did however turn out very difficult indeed (to a point where my brother confided to me, "it's like I haven't even had the chance to play yet.")

Secondly, mrbabou's ISP seemed to be acting up. In three attempts to play, he was dropped from the game all 3 times. And for myself, I'd be in the middle of an IM conversation and get dropped from there too. Weird. We'd never had that many technical problems before - this was highly unusual.

My brother and I stayed on to continue playing after babou gave up in frustration (I don't blame him, really, if it were me, I'd have probably wandered off to watch television or something too). Maybe I should write babou an email or something. Hopefully next time we'll be a little more stable.

On a side note, my brother reminded me that the Ultramarines chapter of the Adeptus Astartes hail from a planet called "Ultramar." And that's particularly funny because Ultramar also happens to be the name a gas station chain (and oil refiner) in Quebec and most of Eastern Canada where he subcontracts as a cleaner. So this is what I came up with this morning when I had some free time on my hands...

3 comments:

MrBabou said...

LOL That's hilarious, Ben!!

BTW, I finally found out who is the culprit in my internet connection problems: my router! I'll right up a blog with some details later this morning... But it was still fun while it lasted to play us three together. I did play the second game up until I got beat by the AI...

Ben-Ohki said...

It occurs to me after the fact that I should turn up the textures setting when I do these screen shots - leaving it at the default just results in a blurry look at my efforts. Maybe next time I complete a Badge and Banner set I'll remember to do that. :(

MrBabou said...

First: linky to my blog details about the router

Second: you CAN take instand-action screen shots in DoW. Just press the PrintScreen key, and it'll create a JPG file in the installation directory (or maybe it's somewhere in the MyDocuments folder)

:-)