Saturday, March 10, 2007

Found: Revenge of the Cold Machines

Never know what you wind up running into. I was over in Orleans looking for that hobby shop that carries "a little bit of everything" called Entertainment Ink. At a first glance it's a shop selling hockey memorabilia but in the back they've Warhammer stuff, comics, and manga... weird combination, but I won't argue if I got to knock another item off my want-list and add it to my reading backlog.

Anyway, to revisit my older post about finding "White Maze" (which was pretty good by the way; the author really captures the feel and pacing of a typical Ghost in the Shell adventure), I should point out that these novels are published by Dark Horse Press - an arm of Dark Horse Comics and not Tokyopop, sorry for the confusion. It's just that they're the biggest name in English-translated manga these days. Call me an old fart, but I remember when Tokyopop was busy stirring up controversy among hardcore anime/manga fans by "mirror-flipping" manga into western format and blowing up up in size so that they resembled western comic magazines. I can't believe that was 10 years ago.

Anyway, as usual, this will go to the bottom of the backlog stack because I also "Lost Memory" a while ago (did I mention that? It's the first release from before this one)... I will start that shortly; I'm still not done Dawn of War by CS Goto. Oh? Am I jumping all over? Sorry, I tend to do that when I'm excited about books I'm on... At least now I have something to read while I wait for Amazon to track down a copy of Ascension for me. It's frustrating to have a copy of Book 3: Tempest sitting on my shelf and to not be able to read it.

No comments: