Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Firefox add-on: Imagebot

Somebody once asked me indirectly about posting images on a blog. But Blogger is one of those ones that is nice enough to host pictures too so I don't have to rely on an external hosting service. I do run another blog that isn't so handy (actually this happens a lot on web forums too).

You could go with Photobuckey or Imageshack (I like Imageshack myself; no particular reason). But the catch is when you're in the middle of posting an entry, you need another browser window open to upload and view the HMTL link for each picture you might want to add.

Enter Imagebot - a plug-in for Firefox (they call them "add-ons") ...come to think of it, why am I even explaining this? If you're not using Firefox, you should be. In fact, the ONLY downside I've ever experienced is that the find bar (CTRL+F) has trouble with searching text boxes (like the one I'm typing in for this blog at right now); but I'm getting off-tangent.

Imagebot can be accessed either as a seperate floating window or as a browser tab. The easiest way to use it is to drag'n'drop picture files from your desktop (or wherever) right into the "Upload centre" and it does all the work for you. And if there's ever an error status, just right-click on it and choose "reupload" to try again.

So far there's only 1 catch I've found with this system - it appears to start a brand new album for you so if you were already a regular user of said image-host services, you're previously uploaded images won't appear in the Imagebot's collection of images. Too bad.

So anyway, I give Imagebot a thumbs up. Check it out!

3 comments:

running42k said...

Hi Ben

It appears that I will be in Ottawa on April 2nd. Any chance you want to meet up for dinner?

MrBabou said...

Hey, on topic please! hehe just kidding...

Interesting add-on Ben. I might try it since I often use images in my posts, mostly on message forums.

Ben-Ohki said...

R42k: Ack - I'm out of town that entire week right through until Easter weekend. Bummer. If it were any other time...

mb: as I was saying, I've only used it a couple of times so far and "just for fun." Takes a little getting used to but you can't beat the ability to upload multiple images at a time. It's a time-saver.