Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Reaction: Breach

I went to see Breach last night. As I posted on my RSVP to meetup.com I'm not one to go out of my way to find a historical spy drama. But I was pleasantly surprised at how this film unfolded. There was none of the expected Hollywood "we must add a twist here" garbage we've all become accustomed to. The narrative follows a young aspiring FBI-Agent candidate as he gets embroiled in the biggest sp-counter-spy operation in American history. And just as suddenly, as the criminal is caught red-handed and arrested, the film draws to its conclusion. It rather felt like a dramatized documentary than anything else - something I'd watch on History Channel or perhaps even Discovery. For that, I liked it.

As for the meetup.com folks this event, it was a fairly engaging bunch. We walked over to a local grillhouse afterwards and chatted about other recent (or not so recent films) we'd seen and what we were looking forward to. Coming out of a spy-movie, it was also very convenient that one of us was an Iranian, and another a Pakistani - which allowed for some very interesting conversation about the state of world affairs. I appreciate a chance to have a half-decent conversation about something a little more cerebral... but I did get my chance to spew a little about comics what with the new Spider-man film coming this year.

Overall, a lot of fun. But I wouldn't do it too often in the future (not on a weeknight anyway). I didn't get to bed until midnight and well, I paid for it this morning.

1 comment:

MrBabou said...

What a coincidence - I went to bed around midnight tuesday night also!? And yes, it was pretty hard to wake up at 6h the following morning (actually, I think it was 6h30, because I did not go directly to work that morning - I had to go to an appointment with Ophie, so I worked from home until that time).

Glad you had fun though!