Thursday, October 13, 2005

PC: 200Gb minus 40Gb

So I have a new item to list under my personal "Greatest Hits." Put in the new harddrive last night (still fuming over how short the lifespan of my previous drive was - only 3 or 4 years). But the net gain of 160Gb is a nice trade off for my troubles.
Anyway, went into the BIOS and set myself up to boot from my Windows system CD. About an hour later after the setup routine formatted the huge new drive, it prompted me for a CD key. Never one to play by the rules, I obtained this OS from a friend of a friend so no - I don't have a key. Mm... scratch that, I do have a key... in a txt file... on the CD. Oops.
Called babou and had him read his key to me (yeah, we have the same friend of a friend).Was able to recover most of my archives from the old drive. Still can't format it though. I'm pretty sure it's scrap. Maybe in the far flung future...?
Luckily, all my setup files were intact so I was up and running by the end of the evening. I even had time to give the new Nokia USB cable a quick test (was able to extract a photo off my phone).

PS: look for a photo post later tonight when I have time to organize and do some colour touch-ups.

1 comment:

Becks said...

hehehe. been there,.. dood that!!
had to go the really 'back way' when we reimaged my machine. We had to install 98, then upgrade to xp from there. it was a messsss.

good job!