Tuesday, October 11, 2005

clearly it's trying to communicate!

Here's a wacky incident you don't get every day.

So I arrive back in town yesterday afternoon from a trip to Toronto for the long weekend. We'd taken my brother's car so coming home to my own car was a little weird to be behind my own wheel again. Okay, the engine's a little cold and if you've been reading my blogs for a while, you know that my coolant light has been acting a little wonky for the last year or so (yes, the coolant is just fine, I check the reservoir again last night to be sure). Anyway, it was lit up last night.

I pull up to a red light behind this scooter-bike with two people on it. The passenger stumbles a little like he was about fall off. The driver has his head turned and appears to be talking to him when I catch his eye. Now here's the weird thing: I haven't a clue why I caught his eye.

He was desperately trying to communicate with me though. He'd point at himself, then to me, then thumb left or point right. I made a "shrug my shoulders, I don't understand what you're saying" gesture through my windshield for him. I thought that'd be the end of it but he kept right on pointing left and right like he really needed to know something. I thought he wanted to know which direction I was headed in (although, I kinda figured that was a weird question to want to know about a complete stranger) so I lit up my turn signals for the hell of it. And he kept on pointing left and right.... right up until the lit turned green and we were forced by traffic behind us to get moving.

I didn't pass him because at the time my coolant light started blinking, indicating malfunction and I pulled over onto a side street. He seemed to want to follow me by making an unecessary lane change but then seemed to change his mind and continued straight.

I pulled over and thought about all the things that perhaps someone outside may have observed about my car... Well my headlights were on okay. I popped the hood and although I thought I smelled the skunk from last week there wasn't any smoke or anything. And my wipers were okay. I even tested my turn signals. Nope. And yes again, the coolant level was okay. I really couldn't tell if anything was wrong. By the time I got back into my dash board had settled back to normal...

So what the hell did that biker want anyway?

No comments: