Saturday, August 27, 2005

"Hooray for Boobies"

Back in 1991, I stumbled on an issue of Justice League Europe. It was part of a massive cross-over event or otherwise I would never have even thought to pick up an issue of that. Something about DC was uncool at the time. The only hot-commodities in DC’s stable was Batman thanks to the block-buster hit movie a couple of years earlier. But thankfully, with that issue I discovered and fell in love with a little-known second-stringer by the name of Power-Girl.

See, while it’s obvious that by design, she’s got a huge set of boobies, Power Girl was different from all the top-heavy females who catered to adolescent fantasies… she seemed to be the only one of those super-powered women who was remotely aware that her chest was unusually big. And I, for one, found that refreshingly original. DC was able to poke fun at the industry as a whole with a single panel in JLE Annual #2: Waverider had come from the future to scout for potential threats to his timeline and while Power-Girl “volunteers” to be scanned, she makes it very clear that he “better be careful where [he] touches her!” In one single word balloon, I found that to be the funniest damn line I’d read that entire year.

Alas, years would go by before I saw anything on Power Girl again. Either I was pre-occupied with the gigantic industry-wrecking X-Men revival of the day, or that eventually I just took a hiatus from collecting comics while I studied at university, Power Girl didn’t come around until just this last year when I happened upon the hardcover edition of the recent Superman/Batman series. She resurfaces in this story as a supporting character and again she knows she’s a fanboy’s dream…

(Sorry about the fuzziness; that's the trouble with trying scan hardbound volumes)

Anyway, more recently, (ie: today) I read the new “JSA:Classified” book and once again… well, besides being a strong reminder of how ridiculous women are physically portrayed in comics overall, I’m man enough to admit: sometime I just can’t get enough of seeing gags about boobies. It’s just better when Power Girl is involved.







2 comments:

running42k said...

Yep, got to love Powergirl

Becks said...

*LAUGH*

That really IS where all the power is derived. *nod*