Thursday, August 04, 2005

babou shook his head with pity

Well, working with that old beater keyboard last night everything seemed fine so I went ahead and clocked the RAM back up to spec. Rebooted and everything seemed stable... played around for a bit, chatted for a while with my Singaporean penpal, and then shut down and went to bed. Everything seemed stable.

This morning I booted again and within 15 minutes or so, the system froze up. Ugh.

I spoke with babou this morning and recounted my story. He suggested two things - first to clock down and force the RAM to run at only 166MHz instead of the default "safe mode" of 133MHz or the native 200MHz. And secondly perhaps just bring it back and have the shop test them with their diagnostic gadgets explaining that these lock-ups only started happening when I installed the new sticks.

Well, first thing's first: gonna reseat the sticks. You never know but RAM sticks are temperamental and sometimes the most innoccuous thing will kill your sanity.
Then I'll continue running them at 200MHz just for the hell of it to see how long before the system freezes up. Hmm...

No comments: