Monday, May 02, 2005

The rent and all that other fun stuff... huh?

Yeah - fun stuff. It's the start of May and I'm due to shell out this month's rent. And same with the parking spot at the office. And somehow I manage to find myself on a Monday night sitting in front of the terminal again scouring eBay for more crap.

It's a strange feeling - I've just gotten so used to looking forward to something arriving in the mail. Now that Wolvie is safely stored away behind glass with his new roomie Spidey, I'm just a little out of sorts... like I need to keep up the buying frenzy.

Speaking of Wolvie, after getting him cleaned up a little, I made some unfortunate discoveries. Now I know how loosely applied the term "good shape" can be used.

1)Besides being dirty, looks like someone tried to clean him before because the paint job appears to be thinning in some places.
2)I figured out why the claws on one side were cooked: the thing must've been dropped at one point. On the same side, there is a chip out of the elbow about an 8th-inch in diameter. Small, yes. But remember, this is a bust about 4 inches tall. It's all relative.
3)There another imperfection on the back of the base. Might've been a casting error in the porcelain though... I'll let this one go.
4)The auction flat-out lied about the edition. Yes, I received a box marked 480/9000. But the bust inside was actually number 8000-something.

All told, I'm willing to let all this slide because like I said, I got it for a fantastic price. But it's irritating that someone out there was so friggin' careless to treat a work of art so badly. Spidey is the same age and has been in my home for just as long and is in absolutely MINT condition. And for a majority of that ownership, he stood on a table in my living room completely exposed to the elements of every day life. All he needed was a little dusting with a damp cloth now and then.

Now... what to do about my next impulsive mistake? I've always wanted a Nightcrawler bust in my living room too... ^_^;;

1 comment:

Becks said...

Yeah. I SO know what you mean. I have my netflix sub, and an ebay addiction. Recently I've taken to trying to find expensive perfumes for super discount. You know, people buy it, hate it, sell it! woo!
a fun thing I like to do, too, is just do a search for "free shipping" hehehe