Sunday, May 15, 2005

It's official: I AM Comic Book Guy

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Been a miserable weekend out so I decided this weekend would be the one where I could play the hermit.

There was a time I was into popular anime (I suppose I was ahead of my time). Now I more or less stick with the titles I know leaving the disposable stuff to the mindless masses of pre-teens who think they're cool because they watch the latested digital rips from out of Japan.

But this weekend I was in the mood for something a little less cerebral. That is, I had just come from watching the remake of Appleseed (which is damn cool, by the way). Give me some fan-service, damn it!. I just wanna see T&A for a while.
So I downloaded Ikki Toussen - a street fighting actioner... featuring a young girl who not only kicks ass in a major way, but also in a strange manner of coincidence manages to have her skirt and shirt torn apart in just about every second scene.
...I (shamefully admit) liked it...

So anyway, Saturday afternoon rolled around (the sun never did come out yesterday) and I was still in my pajama pants. Around 3:20pm I decided to head over to the only theatre still playing Frank Miller's Sin City. Yes, it was across town but I made it (which is surprising as people have a tendency to drive like numbnuts when it's rainy out).
And yes, I went into a movie alone.

babou hasn't been around in a week - he's on vacation (good for him!) and I didn't want to disturb his well-deserved break. I feel for that workaholic. And just about everyone else I know has either already seen the movie, or has absolutely no interest in yet another comic-based film... especially those based on a comic most people have never heard of.

I for one enjoyed it as I'd just finished reading a few of those books only weeks ago. I really appreciated its style - a send-up of the old film-noir look and feel. You either loved it, or laughed at it, but you couldn't possibly hate it.

Hmm... I was sort of counting on better weather today but it doesn't look it. Not too sure what this Sunday will be like. Maybe just go for a grocery run....

2 comments:

Becks said...

I've not looked too far into it, but maybe you can say...

how, or where, did the animation we see today, from Japan, come to be. It seems...so...futuristic, in culture steeped in tradition.

Ben-Ohki said...

And this is why I don't think of myself as a "fanboy" anymore as modern anime doesn't seem to reflect what you just described.

But the oldies... Seems Japan is obsessed with "the future" - technology as a means to an end. Super Robots being the ultimate example of what good forward-thinking humans could unleash against evil. The traditional aspect? Well, that's a cultural throwback (you can see it in many Asian cultures - not just Japan). We have trouble letting go of what we hold dear to us as a people.

...but that's just my spin on it all. ^_^;