Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Mousse Pocky ...creamy

I grew up on Pocky - it's a staple of Chinatown (more specifically, this chocolate-coated cookie treat is Japanese but it's starting to find its way around more now than ever before).

Besides having commercials featuring my favourite bunch of J-pop singers, Pocky, much like Morning Musume, also has a tendency to mutate into new permutations... And tonight I broke open a curious package called "Mousse Pocky Chocolate."

This web-gallery would have you believe this is a very glamorous variation of Pocky using German cream cheese and French milk. I personally don't care what they put in it... I was just stunned to open the unusually thin box to find 3 foil packs instead of 2... and then rapidly deflated to realize that each foil pack only contained 4 sticks (hooray for nothing).

On the bright side, the Mousse variant promised a creamy soft treat and it actually delivers: the chocolaty coating is wonderfully thick compared to the standard Pocky. So much that when you bite into it, it feels a bit like a eating a very tiny cookie-candy bar (like a Kit-Kat or Coffee Crisp). It might have been my imagination, but the cookie stick itself seemed a little thicker too (it's been a while since I bought a regular pack of Pocky.

However, as great as it is for a snack... it's not something that'll stick with you like a bowl of cookies and milk would. It's just a light diversion. And for the price... I could get an entire bag of cookies at the grocery store. I got this one for like $2.65 I think in Chinatown. Granted the box will last me 3 evenings because it happens to be conveniently packaged into 3 individual servings (that might be a personal preference

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, you have to pay more to eat less! That's just the way it goes... And WTF is french milk?!?! Milk is milk is milk, right? No?

>.<

P.S.: the RSS feed thing works!

Ben-Ohki said...

Us Anglos call it French milk... you call it "lait." That's the difference! ^_^;;;

Anonymous said...

Ah, these is velly good!! I always eat for snak on my train ride to work.

Anonymous said...

I had Green Tea Pocky today!

Ben-Ohki said...

Cool! Was the Mousse like Green Tea ice-cream? Y'know, with prices being what they are, I might be convinced to get a Costco membership if they carried Pocky in bulk... ^_^;;

Asaciel said...

Such difficult time to get pocky? Pocky everywhere here...mostly imported. Also tried the mousse some time back.