Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Score: Revenge of the DVD

This'll sound like I'm being anal, but I think it's fair-game to ask that my favourite films series be packed consistently. Last year when the final movie in the blockbuster franchise hit DVD, Canadian fans (like myself) were dismayed that for some odd reason, after waiting years, suddenly Lucasfilm decided to release bilingual packaging.

Now as a proud Canadian (and a Quebecer at that) I have no problem with catering to the second of two official languages. What I have a problem with is that you wind up with a complaint like this! Simply put, the series packaging has been in the works for 5 years when Phantom Menace (after much delay) came out on DVD... and all the releases since were similarly packed... Then suddenly out of the blue, the font size is changed to accomodate a second translated title for the final DVD. WTF?

After much waiting for a boxed set (since I foresaw this possible dilemma) I've decided on my least-favourite option: the American Solution. That's right, I eBay'ed Episode 3 last night to get an English-only package from the US. But I got a pretty sweet deal too since the auction was for Episode 2 as well. I even had a pleasant surprise this morning to know that I happened to have some unclaimed bonus sitting in my Paypal account (about 2 bucks). That's sweet.

No comments: