Sunday, August 27, 2006

noodle review: "beef"

If only because I have a packet just about to expire, I've decided my next review should be the classic "beef" flavour ramen by Nissin.


As you can see here it looks like any other regular Nissin branded instant ramen. It comes with a "beef" soup base and a disgusting-looking foil-pack of "seasoning" which when still cold looks like a cross between Brylcream hair product and refried bean. I don't know what it is, and I usually just discard it. But for the purposes of this review, I decided to use it anyway since I wanted to be as close to the intended mode of consumption as possible.


Looks alright - the slimey "seasoning" desolves nicely and doesn't appear to make the soup particularly oily as I might have expected.


It tasted okay but I was still able to detect the subtle effects added by that "seasoning"; it did two things. First, it actually did add some sort of authentic beef taste into it (maybe the fatty substance probably has some real beef-fat extract in it). Secondly, because of it's pure fattiness, it left a sort of waxy feeling on my teeth and was somewhat uncomfortable - like if you were to have a plate of pasta with a pesto sauce ...but there wasn't enough of anything in the pesto so it was too oily. Surpisingly enough, it other than the strange sensation on my teeth, it didn't feel oily otherwise.

As a final note: the "beef" flavour is the old stand-by and in general, when I hear "instant ramen," this is the version that comes to mind. As mentioned earlier, I usually forget the additional "seasoning" and instead will usually simply add a teaspoon or so of Thai "sriracha" chili sauce. Of course, at that point, I don't really notice the difference between the "beef" flavour or the "original" flavour anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm hungry now! But waxiness is never a good thing!