Tuesday, August 01, 2006

noodle review: "miso"

As promised here's what I have to say about the "miso" flavoured instant ramen by Nissin...



Well ...there you have it - argueably the most uninspiring variation of the famous "Take-Out" brand instant ramen by Nissin. I mean, look at it, it's pretty much identical to the plain ones but with a big white text balloon pasted over the image!! And below is the actual content ...which besides the "seasoning powder" looks remarkably like the plain version.

Perhaps the reason the outside is so boring is because the finished product after the usual 5-minute boil and the powder mixing also appears just as boring... It has ZERO-texture! Even the plain version comes with a packet of sesame oil to give it a little zing. But let's wait for the taste...

First of all, I should mention that I have very little real life experience with Japanese food to begin with. I mean, I've sampled some stuff here and there - even had several sushi meals. My aunt (who is Japanese, by the way) has even prepared some authentic dishes for me over the years... But I think I've only had miso soup once. All the rest has been instant miso (just add hot water!).
Well, if you don't know - miso is kinda like a Japanese bean soup. It has a slightly salty taste and is typically garnished with bits of tofu and seaweed. And well, actually, that's the only thing this variant of instant noodle has going for it: it actually does taste like miso soup (or at least, tastes like the miso I'm accostumed to). In fact, I liked it so much that after gobbling down the ramen noodle, I actually lifted the bowl to my face and drank the rest of the soup! And surprisingly, it didn't leave me with that MSG-filled after-taste usually associated with instant ramen soup mix.

Would I get this again? Seriously? No. I mean, the noodle itself was pretty boring and tasted like any other instant ramen Nissin produces. And if I really wanted some miso soup, I wouldn't be making instant ramen, would I? I'd probably make instant miso instead. ^_^;

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You like noodles too much lol!