Thursday, August 24, 2006

I'm a Marvel Zombie relapse

Right up until this month I had sworn my DC comics. But quite frankly they've just overdone it with the recent Crisis event. There are so many relaunches leaving more questions than answers that it's no longer funny.

Marvel on the other hand managed to snag my attention even tho I had originally passed on both Avengers Disassembled and House of M. I've been reading the trade-paperback collections as they come out (released about a year after their original individual publications) and I'm having a blast with Decimation.

In the aftermath of the House of M incident, the Marvel world changed dramatically when nearly all mutants on the planet lost their powers and became normal humans (including several of the outlaw heroes, the X-Men). The Decimation line-up follows how the X-Men dealt with their losses, reveals how the public at large reacted, and why the government saw fit to restart the Sentinel program (this time as a group of elite soldiers who pilot the giant Sentinel machines). And what I love about it all - each trade has been fairly self-contained with a consistent theme and plot (editorial choices on Captain America notwithstanding).

Last week I read all about the desperate gambit Pietro, brother of Scarlett Witch and son of Magneto, attempts in the face of a life unbearably slow now that he's lost his super-speed powers. It was both frightening and sad... and who could blame him.

I'm back to being a Marvel Zombie ...good to be home! ^_^;

No comments: