Thursday, November 29, 2007

Zaku: semi-final

Anyway, here's what I've been up to the last few days (not that I worked a total of this many days). I mean it took this long to disassemble, paint, and reassemble, in between that little thing we like to call "real life."So yeah, the big part was the legs - especially since they had those "tubes" that promptly fell apart as soon as I pulled the knees apart. Looking at the colour photos of the original anime, the legs are hardly molded in the right colours, so that's where I concentrated.

And here's the "semi-final" model.
Only 2 major things to do at this point, try to find a fine-point marker to do the panels (there are lines molded into the plastic. Pro builders add dark lines into them to give the illusion that those are separate pieces - we call that "panel-lining." I used to own a "Gundam Marker" - that's right, Tamiya paints actually branded a series of paint markers just for Bandai kits, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'll have to replace it.
Secondly, I really want to add some decals to it.

Lastly, and this is optional, I will clear-coat the whole thing with a matt-finish. In the photo above, you can see that the whole thing looks really "plastic-y" (note the glare on the chest). For small-scale kits like this, a matt anti-reflective finish make a world of different and it's stupid easy to achieve.

No comments: