Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Basillica Administratum 1

I thought it'd be fun to document my progress on my latest kit. It's a building for the Cities of Death game that brings an urban-combat setting to Warhammer 40'000. Specifically, I bought a single box thinking it would be nice to start with a given how-to so that I could get a feel for the new free-style kit sets. I'm a little disappointed to report that despite having done so, the box actually contains only a generic manual with a sprinkling of advice but very little in the way of telling you how to build the headline model depicted on the box.So there you have it, it's a 3 sprues: 2 "walls" and 1 "accessories" (I made up those names, Games Workshop probably has names already that I'm too lazy to look up on their web site). I started by cutting out the first few walls, choosing ones that looked to be the kinds on the bottom level according to the photo on the box... and following the advice in the leaflet, built the first level around a "corner" to provide a starting point onto which to build the rest of my model.I quickly noticed I was going to have to free-style because I could not find any reference material that hinted at which "floors" were meant to go where on the interior. The leaflet's photo of the "Basillica Administratum" model is only an exterior view...I also learned quickly that turning the model on its side and upside down helped balance pieces while the super-glue set. Experience had already taught me that very small drops tend to set faster and is just as strong.After an hour or so, my fingers were getting sore (and I was getting high on the fumes). But I managed what I thought was some decent progress...The most time-consuming part of this kit (and I guess all other Cities of Death buildings) is that there's an aweful lot of flash and mold lines to cut away. Thankfully it's the same soft plastic as all other GW kits and cuts fairly easily. Still, that's a lot of tiny scraping to do with a hobby knife.

No comments: