Thursday, November 08, 2007

basilica administratum 2

Possibly one of the faster builds I've even done, the Basilica Administratum kit came together in a record evening. After a break (for blogging and whatever) I went back to the kit sensing how close I was to completion. About another hour later I had main walls and floors completed.I got started on the little embellishments like the arches and columns. I spent a lot of time shaving off excess flash with a knife. You may notice that I also had some additional "beams." This is to finish off the right-side edge of the model because the panel system always included a beam on the left to glue to the next panel. That means the first panel on the far right is actually missing the last side of its frame.
The extra beams come in "complete" pieces that run the height of a single floor. So for the panels on the upper floors, I had to cut a beam in half and exercise some creativity with my knife to make it look like it had broken up along with the rest of the wall.
Gluing the beams into place allows me to add the 8th and final "arch" embellishment. All that's left are the little other embellishments like lamps and gargoyles. Thankfully these are all single pieces that just need to be trimmed from the sprue and glued into place...Here's the final completed build. Up next was paint... Kind of weird pictures below because of the angle. I set the model on its side so that I could get my spray to reach under the arches and everywhere important. Undercoating in black provides instant shadow so I won't need to go in with dark ink or anything afterward to add relief or texture.At this point, I've waited pretty much the whole evening for it to dry properly. Really, there's nothing to show at this point. Just take the third photo up and imagine it all black. I will be lightly "dusting" it with a white spray in a top-down angle to give it a bit more texture before going into colours. I'll probably be dry-brushing most of it with a pale grey and highlighting with metallic colours. I'll post again when it's all done, so look forward to it!

No comments: