Wednesday, November 14, 2007

mailbox today

Well, it's been quite the odyssey, an irritating one, at that! But I finally completed my collection of Boom Studios' "Damnation Crusade." And more than anything, I can't wait to turn around and reread the whole thing in order because it took forever to get all the issues. And maybe at the end of it, I'll tell you if it was worth the effort (because shortly after acquiring most of the issues, minus a few, I discovered it might have been cheaper to just wait and get the collected edition due out in the next few months. Crap.

It started out as a curiosity. I like to give the "little guy" a chance when I'm in the comics shop. And I had never read a Boom Studios title before. Plus it was Warhammer 40k, so why the hell not? But after I picked up the first issue, it seemed that I had missed the second issue. The weeks and months flew by and before I knew it, the book had disappeared off shelves.

When September rolled around, I found myself in Markham at a store called Heroes World. And they had issues 2 thru 5. So being on vacation with a bunch of extra cash on hand, I grabbed the ones they had. And unfortunately, also being on vacation, I wasn't really sure if issue 6 was really out or not. I just assumed it hadn't come out and that's why it wasn't on the shelf. I would later learn that I had indeed missed it as well.

A couple of weeks back I mail-ordered my missing issue directly from Boom Studios and also decided I'd like to check out their newest series "Blood and Thunder." Not sure what's up with their official site. I had made the lazy assumption (the second one in this blog entry, if you're counting) that it'd work like a pre-order; that they'd ship it out to me so that I'd have it around the same time most retailers would have it available. Not so. Blood and Thunder's already been on the shelves since last week and I just got it in the mail today. Crap (also the second time I cursed this blog entry).

All that to say, I'll be doing a lot of reading tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben-Ohki-

We put comics and trades for sale up on the usually around the time they are hitting the shelves of the stores. Either way, I hope your transaction went well - and I hope you enjoy the books!

Best,

Chip Mosher
Marketing and Sales Director
BOOM! Studios

Ben-Ohki said...

Wow, you found me! Cool.

As a matter of fact, I did enjoy them. Thanks!