Saturday, November 17, 2007

A new interface for ZeroPrime

So I finally went and bought a new monitor. It's one of those rare instances where I'm replacing a perfectly good piece of hardware (my 17" Samsung DF756 still works and works well). The irony is, the LCD ended up with isn't even the one I went running out to find.

I was browsing this week's brochure from Future-scrap and noticed that my dream LCD monitor was on sale. The Samsung 226BW happens to be one of the highest rated models around and shares a pedigree with one that mrbabou heartily recommended to me. And well, earlier this week, my overtime pay finally came through so I had a bunch of cash on hand.

But when I got to the store, I took a look at the 206BW - the same monitor, but 2 inches smaller... And you know what? Having them side by side on the same shelf, I realized, "damn, talk about the law of diminishing returns." I decided I didn't feel like paying $60 for an inappreciable difference in size. I mean seriously, between 20" and 22" I stood there and couldn't even tell the difference. So I grabbed the smaller one.

And really, now I'm sitting in front of it all plugged in and it's fine. I just need to get used to the funky resolution (because really, everything does look kind of smaller because everything's so stupid sharp. It's kind of like transitioning from a 800x600 screen to 1024x768 for the first time.

Anyway, I'm happy and I didn't spend anywhere near as much as I was anticipating. So there.

3 comments:

MrBabou said...

Congratulations Mr B!!! Actually, IIRC, your 20" is the same resolution as my 22", so your LCD probably even looks sharper than mine (logically). Anyway, my res is 1680x1050 so maybe you can check yours are see if it's the same. Oh and, you're not alone: my CRT was also working perfectly well when I got my first LCD ;-)

Ben-Ohki said...

That's correct, it is the same resolution. But I still can't get used to the size of everything on my screen (it's too small) so I have had to reset WinXP to the alternate 120DPI setting.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to upgrade as well.. I still use my Samsung 17" 700NF and it works perfectly, I think it's 7 years old now.. I'm still waiting... I want a 22"