Friday, February 17, 2006

Why I haven't bought a UMD lately

Ars: Sony scales back UMD plans.

Go ahead, read it - it's a pretty decent article and addresses the sudden onslaught of UMD movies you see at Best Buy and mysterious slow-down we've seen lately. I personally haven't bought a UMD movie since Kill Bill Vol.2 came out. And even then I never got around to watching it because I haven't sat still long enough since then.

But the fact is, games are really slow in coming. Users want new discs. But UMD is ultimately a pointless format other than having something to watch when you're not at home... Why the hell would I really want to pay the same price as a DVD for not only a stripped down package, but a video experience at a lower resolution? Cut the prices on UMD and then we'll talk again because as much as I love seeing Jessica Alba in a bikini, I'm not paying $25CAD for Into the Blue when I could get it for the same price on DVD... (actually, to be honest, that's such a great example because I doubt I'd pay anything for Into the Blue). ^_^;

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya, I don't own a PSP, but when I saw the prices of those UMD movies, all I said in my head was "Ya right, what a rip off!"