Friday, December 09, 2005

PC: it lives!!

Wow - that was actually fun (except for the part where I sliced open my left index finger with a sharp edge inside a drive-bay while poking the structure panels out from the inside). The surgery appears to be a success - Zero Prime lives again and here are some pics I took while working on it...

Here's the case ready to go:

The power supply goes in (the blue fans are already factory-installed).

The motherboard goes in (I didn't have to remove the CPU or its fan)... just screwed it into place. I started to deviate from the instruction manual at this point because I wanted to get the front panel wired first and out of the way since they're all at the bottom.

Here I punched out the panels for the external drive bays. Yes, I ended up having a couple of white drives (since I haven't bought a new floppy drive in a whole decade). Also, one of my older DVD-ROM drives is still perfectly good so...

Oh yeah... this was also where I took a break to bandage a badly bleeding wound on my finger... after wards I wasn't in such a great mood so photos came fewer and father in between.

Had to remove the back cover (the manual got a little confusing here and talks about the FRONT cover; WTF?) Anyway, just a matter of adding a few more screws for all my drives.

Things got weird again after this: it took me like an hour to realize that everywhere they say "male connector" they actually mean a "female connector." Either that or my sexual education is severely lacking!!! ^_^;
Anyway, got all the cables done by this point:

Finally, the cover goes on... it fits! ^o^;


And finally powered up... (actually took two tries: the first try it didn't read my floppy and locked up on boot. Other than that, pretty damn lucky).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is SEXY!! Sorry about the finger though, but hey, in french we say "c'est le métier qui rentre".

Does the front display work and all?

Happy for ya dude, and thanks for the pics. I enjoyed looking and reading ;-)

Ben-Ohki said...

babou, that you?

My finger is just fine (the wound seems to have closed now). Seemed really bloody last night tho. Hmm.

Yes, the display is just a temperature read-out. It works - my internal case temperature is a balmy 79.6F ^_^;