Wednesday, December 07, 2005

old-school video...

So I'm at Wal-mart last night doing what I call "preliminary shopping" - that is I haven't actually thought of a Christmas list yet... but just getting ideas on what to get my family.

I'll bypass the fact that I did spend over $60 last night on myself (DVDs of Fantastic Four and Clone Wars).... but something I felt the urge to blog about was in there: The He-Man She-Ra Christmas Special.

This was the first meeting between the icon and his female copy (the "Secret of the Sword" 5-part origin of She-Ra apparently doesn't count for some reason; colour me confused - was it released later?). Anyway, it's a 45 minute cartoon (let's not make it out to be anything other than what it really is). Orko the wizard accidentally arrives on Earth, accidentally bring two Earth children back to Eternia, and the only person who has any inkling of what Christmas is would be Queen Marlena (hardcore fans of He-Man may recall that the Queen was actually an Earth woman).

It was campy and ridiculous. Bow (a manly man if there ever was one) even sang a "Christmas song" with the kids. Skeletor betrays Horde Prime and saves the kids after having a change of heart... Ugh. It was stupid enough to make me want to shut my eyes or even turn off my DVD player. But you know what's funny?

As primitive as the show was.
As ludicrous as the plot went.
As painful as it was to hear 80's cartoon songs.

...It brought a smile to my face. I sat up when Prince Adam raised his Sword of Power and magically became ...well, he became a tanned version of himself actually, but still. I sat up when She-Ra rode onto the scene on her winged unicorn. I sat up when Skeletor made a typical snide remark against his underlings and ejected them from his ship (with only 1 parachute). I sat up when Hordak appeared with a group of his robot troopers...

All these things - even all the groans. I truly relived my childhood last night. *sigh* 16 bucks well-spent! ^_^;

1 comment:

hemlock said...

OH. MY. GOD. How in love was I with She-Ra??? SOOOOOO in love.

I had the castle, the weird ass swan thing, the horses (for She-Ra and the cat chick), etc, etc.

I loved She-Ra SO much.

I might dedicate an actual post to She-Ra now. Sweet!