Tuesday, June 26, 2007

DL saga: final post (for real this time)

DL Conspiracy: Final Chapter

Two things... I'm going to go back and add a new "tag" type for this because when I started out documenting my troubles with Dual-Layer burning, I never imagined how many entries it would become. So, when you see those old blogs come up in your RSS, feel free to ignore them.

Anyway, I just wanted to report an addendum to the situation. Remember those Memorex DVD+R/DL that I bought? Yeah, the big 50-count spindle that I CANNOT use. Any ISO file imported to CloneDVD2 becomes a freezing, choppy, altogether irritating mess. And Nero makes a weird archive data disc that can only be read on the original burner.
You know what this reminds me of?...it reminds me of how Philips brand discs behave on my brother's laptop. It was completely incompatible. Could not burn to it at all (ISO file or otherwise).

But in an amazing turn, my brother successfully test-burned several ISO files this weekend using his laptop on the Memorex discs. Not only did they play back on his laptop, but they were readable in my two optical drives, and also in my living room DVD player. I gave them away to him.

So that about closes the book on this story. Memorex for him and Philips for me... I'm sure he will give the spindle a loving home.

No comments: