Saturday, June 16, 2007

bargain bin DVDs

I'm a Trekkie at heart - been one for as long as I can remember. Even as far back as when I can remember that I didn't necessarily understand what was happening on the screen, I still liked to watch the colourful costumes and oddly-shaped space ships.

But I do have my favourites and my not-so-favourites. You know, the ones where I felt wasn't worth the effort (or money) to get on DVD. Well, I stumbled on a 3/$18 offer at Wal-mart today. And that's 3 of those 2-disc "special edition" releases. So that actually works out to $3 per disc (and in some circles, that's about the price of a single Dual-Layer disc). So, overall, if you ask me, it's not going to get much cheaper than this.

So I finally picked up Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek First Contact, and Star Trek Insurrection. They are, as far as I'm concerned, the "second-tier" installments of the franchise (don't debate me, this isn't the post for it).

What's interesting is that these sets have been discounted for a long time. In fact, I recall when Nemesis came out it wasn't much more than $14 brand new at Futureshop, IIRC. But I wonder if Wal-mart got its hands on some reprint releases or something. For one, I'm 90% sure the original releases (for the other films, I have anyway), all came with inserts featuring photos and stuff. Secondly, I noticed that this set of First Contact (and Undiscovered Country as well) did not have the silk-screened colour labels on the discs, instead getting the plain laser-cut matte grey treatment. I'm going to have to remember to ask mrbabou about this (because I'm pretty sure I recall him saying he'd bought a legit copy of First Contact before). Hmm...

But like I said, at $3 a disc, that's almost "Chinatown pricing" if you know what I mean.

1 comment:

MrBabou said...

Just to put it on record... You asked me to check and my version does in fact have a color label on the disks. So obviously you had a later, cheaper-made version. But as long as the content is the same, like you said, it's still a pretty good deal.