Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Reaction - GitS2nd Gig - 7th DTS Volume

A while back (a long while, actually) I posted a short picture post about what EVERY DVD publisher should be learning from... especially if they want to curb the piracy running rampant in North America they would like to have you believe (and believe it could be a lot worse - trust me, I know; I'm Chinese). ^_^

Anyway, here's the link to that older post about a Ghost in the Shell volume I bought back then.

Back then I didn't have any idea what Bandai and Manga Entertainment had in mind with those crazy tin cases with the circular window on the front. I did however like the goodies they came with - sometimes being music CDs, sometimes being little collectible knick-knacks. I did however appreciate the full-colour artwork printed on the back of the tins...

Well, the final volume is out and like the first season, it came in an oversized tin. I won't rehash what AnimeOnDVD.com had to say, but I'll say this much - I'm very impressed with their packing solution. This is arguably the coolest keep-case for a DVD set I've ever seen - it's particularly impressive after the rant I had given CPM for not even bothering to release Patlabor consistently after only 1 volume. Here're some pics:


As you can see, Manga Entertainment did not dismiss the individual cases - the final tin includes the 7th tin and had padded slots to fit all of the previous 6 volumes - very stylish. And it was a nice touch that the followed up with the circular window thing on the side. How cool is that.

As for the show itself - I dunno what the reviewer on AnimeOnDVD was on at the time, but I can say it was an amazing ending that featured a great send-up of the opening scenes from the classic 1994 film adaptation of Shirow Masamune's masterpiece. I'm glad I stuck around these past couple of years it took for the DVDs to all come out.

No comments: