Monday, October 30, 2006

On recutting a CD

It's funny that from time to time I dig out a CD that I didn't even realize I had (that is, I never even listened to it in its entirety after I got it). This goes for the first soundtrack to the Ghost in the Shell TV series.

But it's not for lack of trying. I got this CD as a pack-in bonus when I bought the DTS edition of the first volume of Stand Alone Complex a couple of years ago. But you know, this is the only audio CD I have ever seen in my life that was this badly authored. Go to the bottom of the review at AnimeOnDVD to see what I'm talking about! I mean, tracks are cut at the wrong place! What the heck? I don't know about the guy who wrote the review (he doesn't mention this) but on my pressing, there's actually an extra 19th track of nothing but 38 seconds of silence. And yes, I checked it using a sound editing program - it's silence, not a track with an extremely low volume or something hidden at the very end.

Anyway, while packing up discs, I came across this disc and decided it was time I finally ripped it to MP3 and editted it. I recut the tracks into their proper lengths and merged the track that was mistakenly split into two parts. I'm just wondering if anybody besides me and the guy at the review place has seen this particular disc. I mean, for the record, he's in the USA and I'm Canadian - was it the whole batch? Was it pure luck that we both got these error-pressings? Perhaps it's only the pressing that was produced to be packed in the DVDs and the regular editions sold seperately were okay?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this on a retail disc before, although I've seen some home burned discs with this problem.. very strange they would be so sloppy with a mastered disc.

Ben-Ohki said...

well, it was certainly very weird. I'm keeping the original disc anyway but will burn a new CD with the recut files on my PC...