Sunday, October 29, 2006

Score! Piranha Team found!

Alright, if you're one of the few diligent readers who've kept up with both of my major blogs, you'd know that now's probably not the best time I should be thinking of grabbing new kits to build (buying a house and getting ready to move has something to do with thinking that way). But well, being back home for the weekend and just relaxing with my brother, we hit the local hobby store with nothing in particular on our minds but to see what was around... And I had it in the back of my head to get one of these if I saw one:

Allow me to introduce the Tau Empire's newest addition to their arsenal, the "Piranha." It's a Fast-Attack category unit intended for hit-and-run tactics (the model shown here is equipped with a fusion cannon for quick shots at heavily armoured opponents like vehicles).

But before I get into exactly what happened to me this weekend, a little history:
I learned something earlier this year. Turns out that when new stuff comes out for a particular army type, Games Workshop does something special for the hardcore early adopters. They will pick one of the new models and package them as "teams" in very limited quantities. I didn't know this when the Tau (my army of choice) had their big new-release this year... I passed on what I later found out was a limited edition package-deal for 3 Piranha models at a retail value equivalent to "3 for the price of 2."

Naturally, it's been a sore point for me ever since I discovered that. But this weekend, I don't know where it came from, but that local shop just happened to have one more box on the shelf, nearly half a year since they should've been sold out. "That's a no-brainer," my brother remarked. With single-model boxes selling at $36 and this 3-pack marked $63, I was inclined to agree.

You know, tho, the one downside to buying this 3-pack? I got bored fairly quickly. I tried to make it interesting by pretending I was in an assembly line and putting together all 3 hulls before moving onto other components in the instruction manual. But not matter what, the fact is, I'm still building 3 of the same damn thing. But hey, what a great deal it was.

No comments: