Thursday, October 12, 2006

Wildstorm #1 (and the last)

I don't know if I hate when they do this or not. But DC saw fit to publish one of those "guide" books to preview upcoming projects for the Wildstorm universe revision. And I picked it up thinking it was actually a part of the yet-undisclosed "big event" that's been talked about forever.

So what is it? It's a series of 1 or 2-page pin-ups with short blurbs about each of the new titles coming in the next few months. I have 2 problems with that.

First, the artwork isn't particularly representative of the regular artwork to expect from said titles. This is a problem dating back to the early 90's when Wildstorm was still on the independent Image Comics circuit and putting out the occassional pin-up book (which were chock-full of hit-or-miss art). I mean, I would've prefered seeing a pin-up by Jim Lee himself for the WildCATS write-up.

Second, as for the blurb - these bits of info I could've already picked up from various sources on the web. Face it, the days of running around between friends and the local comics shop for info are long-gone. We're in the information age and people get their hands on complete movie scripts long before the movie comes out - it's no different for the comics industry.

On the bright side, there are 2 short-stories that set up the latest Stormwatch title and a new title and overall were reasonably entertaining. Plus it has the gorgeous Art Adams cover I posted above (I wish it didn't have a speech balloon on the actual printed cover). This will likely get bagged, boarded, and never read again.

No comments: