Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Gen13: Not the I.O. I recall

I seriously cannot remember thinking International Operations being as f*cked up as this.

No really, back when Wildstorm was still something only the most hardcore of us fans will remember as "Aegis" IO was introduced a government agency with questionable motives at best. But I don't recall them selling to the highest bidders who chat on-line like teenagers. Not sure where they're going with this (but I have high hopes for both Gail Simone who did wonders for Birds of Prey andTalent Caldwell who reminds me a little of Joe Maduira in his X-Men heyday). What they have accomplished so far is to make me absolutely hate IO - which is probably the point.

I mean, erasing their own operatives when their "terms" are "up?" Brutal. If you ask me - there's two types of violence in media - the kind that's visual and the kind that knots your stomach... this book was the second kind. And that, in its own way, is actually a good thing - the same way Gundam is chock-full of military-themed violence (well, the oldies, not the new crap that's on nowadays).

The big question - is it a remake? Sorta. We've been promised for months that it wasn't a complete reboot of continuity. I'm the sort of reader who's willing to roll with it. For now, I'm giving the new Wildstorm a tentative thumbs up.

As a side note, I did read Wetworks last week. It was great to see Whilce Portacio at work again - I've missed his erratic "sketchy" pencil-work... it's almost delicate. The new series, unlike Gen13 seems more sequel than remake so... I'm really curious where this will all go (especially since Whilce himself blogged earlier that some of the confusion stems to real-life developments such as botched shipping schedules). *crosses fingers*

No comments: