Sunday, May 07, 2006

WinXP Tatoo

Well, I've been tatooed for being the victim of piracy... Microsoft has seen fit to brand my desktop with this in my system tray...Yeah - that little star thingy in the middle - it's a shortcut to Microsoft's web site that lets me purchase a legit copy of WinXP if I want it... too bad I've sworn of Internet Explorer and that site doesn't seem to like Firefox. Not that this is an excuse - I really don't particularly feel like paying for WinXP either way. I'm just pissed that the OS industry in general has become what it is as a by-product of the computer industry as a whole.

Flashback to 1999-2000 and I was buying my PC. I had Win95 I think at the time... it didn't support USB and that's the ONLY reason I wound up getting Win98SE at one point. And then the trouble started. You know, for the most part, Win3.1 was the most stable OS I'd ever had and Win95 had some decent upgrades. But for the most part, from 98 onward, I haven't had such a great time with Windows. 98SE was a little better, NT and ME weren't particularly thrilling (and had their share of crashes), 2000 was robust but didn't handle certain drivers very well, and finally I came around to *ahem* "stealing" XP... well I'm certainly not fond of paying for stuff that just plain doesn't seem to want to work right.

I think the trouble is in that there is more stuff inside Windows now that ever before to screw up. When it was a shell on DOS, there wasn't much to go wrong and if something went wrong, DOS was responsible more that anything (not that it mattered because in the end you had a GPF screen anyway). *sigh*

Oh well, at least I was able to turn off the "victim of piracy" warnings. I'll live with the tatoo. F*ck it.

No comments: