Tuesday, May 23, 2006

BSG 2.0 rant

Those who know me know me well enough to know that I have a very low tolerance for commercial television. It's an outmoded vehicle for entertainment and I'll be glad when I get around to Canadian Tivo or whatever the next big thing is. I'm already a step in the direction of pay-to-play seeing as I tend to purchase DVDs or series I (un)intentionally miss on their first-run broadcasts. In reality I just don't have the energy to remember when a show is on or to have the patience to sit through commercial breaks.

But you know what grinds my gears?

What do Canadian fans of Battlestar Galactica get for their contribution of model-turned-actress Tricia Helfer? (well, actually Canada offered a lot more including production facilities)... well the production saw fit to allow us hand-me-down rights to broadcast the series on Space a full year behind the American counterpart Sci-Fi (as usual). Which greatly adds to the confusion: when exactly did season 3 begin?

Well, we found out didn't we? See, unlike the lengthy first season which featured a full 13-episode run (and the DVD set included the original mini-series from a couple of years ago), season two turned out to be a measely 8 episodes... which ended with a cliffhanger. I hate when they do that... especially in a DVD set.

See, by the time Space was able to catch up its broadcasts, the two-part "Pegasus" story (a remarkable adaptation of the original BSG episodes about the Galactica meeting up with a long-lost sister ship) was shown on 2 consecutive weeks, IIRC. I had no idea there was even a season change... and in fact, when I missed part two, I didn't even bat an eye because at the time, I knew the second season had already had it's American DVD release - which meant within weeks (or months actually) I'd get my grubby paws on the set myself when it was released up here.
But no - another travesty of DVD distribution occurs. Season "2.0" is 8 episodes over 3 discs. I'll even do the math for you: the first 2 discs are 4 episodes each and the last is only 90 minutes long... yes, it's 2 episodes... bleah. How this retails for forty-five bucks, I don't understand.

No comments: