Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My living room: Bome Wall

Here it goes again... Stopped by the comic shop tonight after work. Found several items I'd been eyeing on-line on the shelves but decided to only give into what seemed logical: grab the stuff they only had one of so that nobody else could come along and buy it from under my nose.

So I picked up another figure for my "Monsieur Bomé" collection. Bome is a sculptor who started out as a "garage kit" artist. In Japan there's an entire industry devoted to these small-time indy sculptors who produce limited moldings of their works for amateur kits builders. Bome stands out as one of the few who got so popular with fans that he acheived some measure of international stardom, including a gallery show in France of some of his sculpts. Kaiyodo later picked up his models and started to mass-produce replicas in PVC plastic... this is where Diamond Comics Distributors comes into the picture: they smell money to be made in North America and snagged the license to sell them wholesale to comic shops in Canada and the US.

Over the years I've amassed a small collection...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Since I'm lazy, I won't bother to take close-ups as there are plenty of photos already on-line. Here's a shop that sells them: http://www.tisinc99.com/bome.html - click the pics there for bigger photos.

The red "Kirasaki" is the one I picked up today (the shop did have the green one as well)... at a glance they look the same but I've since found that their faces are slightly different... I'll think for this I'll make an exception to my rule about not buying "repaint" editions.

I actually also purchased a figure of an un-named soldier character from the art-works of Masamune Shirow (creator of such classic cyber-punk as Ghost in the Shell) but it's hanging in a different spot in the living room... I plan to photograph that after I've done some sorting (look carefully above and you'll notice that one of the 6 figures on the Bome Wall is not actually a Bome figure at all - in fact, it's yet another Shirow figure).

2 comments:

Becks said...

This is so fascinating. I know nothing about comic books or action hero's of that genre... but I know I will sit and ebay for that vintage dukes of hazzard shirt, or charlie's angel's prop. I can imagine it's KIND of similar.

:D

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about dropship wholesaler. I also have a Blog/Website about dropship wholesaler which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.