Sunday, April 13, 2008

weekend haul (again?)

DC Direct finally released their second series of Justice League of America figures a few weeks ago. I swear, I think there's some kind of racketeering going on between the different comic shops around town. One store has only a stack of Batman figures on the pegs, while another has only a bunch of Hawkgirl pieces. The one I went to today had neither of those but a selection of the bad-guys who are part of the line-up.Amazo is one of those legacy villains who keep popping up whenever DC editors want to make fans realize the JLA are not invincible. Who can blame them, it's an android who basically fights back with all the JLA's powers... sort of like the DC version of Marvel's The Super Skrull. Heck they both even have that pointy hood pattern on their foreheads. But despite the threat, Amazo also happens to have a goofy name and an even goofier costume (where else to get a topless android in green tights but the Silver Age?). And that is why I call him a "legacy" villain.Admirably enough, Ed Benes' take on Amazo brought a new level of creepiness. And the figure comes with a neat destroyed-torso option (the chest plate comes off). The promo material for the figure also showed the head plate is supposed to come off but for the life of me, I can't seem to take mine off. And I'm afraid of breaking it.

Anyway, besides this dude, I also grabbed the first collected edition of Nova, which was a lead-off from the Annihilation event and also tied into the Conquest follow-up. Nova, as a character, is conspicuously absent from the Conquest proper mini-series which features Quaser and Starlord, both of whom were bit-players in the initial Annihilation story.

Finally, I also finally picked up Dawn of War: Soulstorm. I've been putting it off since I've heard there were several show-stopper bugs in the game and Relic has been buzzing about releasing a major patch on their forums. Also, it retails $40 for a mere expansion to a 4-year-old game. That's ridiculous. However, tonight Futureshop was having their Customer Appreciation event so knocking 10% of retail made the buy a little easier to swallow. I'll do a follow-up blog post when I get into it.

No comments: