Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reaction: Harold&Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Laughed... but I wanted to laugh more.

On it's own it's pretty funny stuff. But here's the thing, if you liked the first one, it's more of the same... only you got the distinct feeling the script could have capitalized on a lot of opportunities for witty gags but instead just spent more time trying to crank up the shock value. One of my cohorts hit the nail on the head when he said, all they did was make the same kind of joke over again but even more preachy than before.

You kind of got the feeling they just wanted to see how far they could push the racism limit. And that's sort of okay because really this movie is all about anti-racism (because it surely makes the racists look REAL STUPID (which they are in real life).

Basically the movie opens moments after the boys decide they're headed to Amsterdam to chase after Harold's new girl (I'm not spoiling anything, am I? You had to expect him to win the girl in the end of the first one). And right away the shock-jokes start. It's just ridiculous (in a bad way).

The first movie was a simply road-trip buddy movie with a lot of weird (an unlikely) stuff happening to them all night. But in this movie, there was just one too many Deus Ex Machina elements... characters would inexplicably show up then disappear once their purpose was served with no pay-off later on. In fact, that's exactly what I meant earlier - they just didn't cash in all the chips when they could have.

But in the end, I have to admit that I laughed when they did hit their marks. I gave this a 7 out 10 (keeping in mind that I would have given the first film an 8 or 9).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad. American movie just DON'T GET IT!! It's why I watch foreign films more often.