Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ume-boshi Chazuke

There it is. I didn't have anything to go with anything in the fridge so I broke open the package of umeboshi I had lying around. Danny Choo would have you know that this is a super-common super-convenience food in Japan. If you've got rice (and any self-respecting Asian has some on hand) then one of these packets turns a plain bowl of rice into a meal.
Interestingly, I noted that this particular 3-pack appears to be intended for the international market. Not only did it have the usual Canadian nutrition sticker added, but the package itself has a fair amount of English text. On the back of the wrapper there's even a cute blurb explaning kabuki make-up design Nagatanien uses as its trademark.
This is what the content looks like. The ingredients on the wrapper (also helpfully in English) lists about what you'd expect: salt, rice cracker, MSG, (real!?) pickled plum, green tea powder perilla leaf, kelp powder, a bunch of chemicals I cannot identify...
The packet specifies 5oz of boiling water should be added when you drop this on top of rice. But since I didn't have a measuring cup handy, I just sort of eye-balled enough water to make it soupy. I'm a little bit disappointed that it's not quite as colourful as the photo on the wrapper. I mean, it's supposed to be green like green tea... but it looked rather bland to me. The taste was nothing surprising. Considering the amount of salt in this, it pretty much tasted exactly as I imagined any kind of instant meal tastes like. I've got 2 more packets...

No comments: