Thursday, September 14, 2006

PC: Irritate me, will ya?

Fate has a way of mocking my existence. A few weeks ago having downloaded a few 7Gb files (DVD images of out-of-print products and foreign films, etc - nothing the MPAA has anything to do with), I started looking into dual-layer burners. It's odd it seemed so soon after I bought my first DVD writer (paying over $100 back then) Starfish managed to purchase his first burner (which turned out to be dual-layer-capable).

And now, a scant year or two later, you can find cheap DL DVD-writers for less than 50 bucks. But I've got two perfectly functioning drives in Zero Prime already: a DVD-ROM less than 5 years old and the first-generation writer less than 3 years old.

I think I need to reevaluate my priorities.

Speaking of which, so did WinXP - because it rebooted itself last night without my permission. That's right, despite having that ridiculous piracy tatoo all over my system tray, Automatic Update went ahead and downloaded (and subsequently installed) a security patch. And while it gave me the option of "reboot now or reboot later" - it didn't allow me to say how much later. I clicked later hoping for the best. I mean, I still have a torrent running on yet another image I haven't been able to complete in over a month - every night counts. I woke up to a stable yet inert Zero Prime... I had to reconnect and reestablish the torrent before leaving for work (luckily I keep a copy of the .torrent file on my desktop).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, just disable the friggin auto update and use this site: http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

or something else similar (I think one is called "housecall" or something like that)

MrBabou

Anonymous said...

I think you have computer gremlins running around inside your machine! The only solution is: A giant fly swater!