Friday, September 29, 2006

The DL experiment

The saga continues with the grand Dual-Layer experiment.

Thus far, my old trusty Pioneer DV-333 set-top box is unable to play either Philips or Fujifilm brand DVD+R DL discs burned on an LG GSA-H10L. A buddy from work however loaned me one of his pirated discs - a Verbatim branded DVD+R DL and it was just fine (could watch the movie, could navigate all menus).

The variables I need to consider:
1) Can it be my burner is not quite right - a problem with the LG drive itself?
2) Can it be my technique is not quite right (frankly I don't see how anyone could go wrong with the simplicity of Nero Express 6.
3) Can it be that quite simply Verbatim discs are just better than Philips and Fuji?

There's actually a very specific case made at videohelp.com with an identical setup - this fellow has the same burner and had heaps of trouble with the Fuji discs. Hmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do have 2 problems!
First, get rid of the LG burner, and get a Liteon burner, if you feel like spending money, get a Plextor. Next upgrade to full Nero. It has better options for burning DVD's, but I'd look into a more specific program made for making DVD's. I'm not sure cuz I don't make DVD's.

As for the media.. it could be the burner has problems with those media. Try updating the firmware of the burner.