Friday, June 30, 2006

Rant: where's my 4Gb Stick?

In an effort to piss me off, mainstream retail has seen fit to delay the propogation of high-capacity flash memory yet again. I just wish this wasn't so blatantly obvious as to insult my intelligence.
We all know what happened to the 32Mb "Playstation Portable"-branded Memory Stick Pro Duo when the 1Gb hit the shelves... yes, they started to collect dust. You couldn't pay anyone to stock them these days, you know why? Because they're still overstocked from the initial batch. When the PSP first came out, mine was bundled with a 32Mb Stick. And I'll admit that for a typical digital camera, that's not too bad. But if Sony is marketting PSP to be a multimedia unit, 32Mb will barely hold more than a couple of music videos. Cue disappointment... you need more than to have a bit of fun with the PSP.
Enter Sandisk advertising a whole range of Stick sizes - the problem being that they can't keep them on the shelves. A 1Gb size was available for pre-order for months before I got mine (by which time the price-wars were on). And even then it was a stunning $120CAD at the time.
But I've seen 4Gb Sticks on shelves for a few weeks now. But mainstream retailers are slow to promote them. There's a "Canada Day" sale at www.futureshop.ca this weekend, but the 4Gb is not listed at all (which is a shame because it'd be an easy way for to tempt me into spending money this weekend). But we all know why they're not listing it... they're still pushing smaller sizes because they're still collecting dust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love rants! And I understand you totaly! I hate the BS the retail stores try to pull.. infact I hate the whole game of releasing larger memory in all mediums. I believe companies promote and distribute lower sized memories on purpose, so that the following few months they can release the updated larger size, therefore trying to suck a person into spending more money for larger memory.