Monday, June 05, 2006

Movie Reaction: X3

X-Men 3 came and went for me. It's odd that with the whole hype machine going, I only saw maybe 2 or 3 television adverts for it. But then I didn't need to because I aimed to see it in the theatre come hell or high water regardless - the x-geek in my blood wouldn't allow otherwise.

So what verdict does an old-school x-geek say?

Firstly one thing out of the way: this review WILL contain spoilers, so highlight the text to unhide the white-on-white after this paragraph. And secondly, yes, I liked it and had to let go of the perception that this was an adaptation of the comics. No - it's actually a movie featuring characters who also happen to inhabit the Marvel Universe but it is NOT the book material brought to life. Having laid those ground rules, let's get it on!

****spoilers below****
The first thing that really made me sit up and feel mildly irritated was the fact that once again, James Marsden's Cyclops got the shaft ...again! I do NOT accept real-world excuses like "Marsden is busy filming another movie so giving him a bit-part was all we could do. BS! They did that to him in X2 and in X2 he figured into the whole story even tho the character was on-screen for only a few minutes at a time! Killing him off was okay but so early in the film? Ugh.

Xavier getting killed off - let's ignore that little unsanctionned clip at the end that reveals Patrick Stewarts character may have survived: this is where I really get into the argument that the movies have taken on a life of their own. I mean, wow - that was a pretty cool scene (I wish the pacing was a little better tho because we didn't really get to absorb the dispair for long before the action picked up again).

Another change I approved of (but not necessarily liked): Multiple Man is a bad-guy in this film. It worked for the plot.Likewise: if they had no qualms with changing characters around like that, why did they bother creating a bunch of useless (some nameless) one-offs like that Asian "porcupine" kid? Why not just combine him with that spike-throwing thug that attacked Wolverine in the woods? They could've called him Spyke like in the cartoon version. Bottom line is that there are plenty of existing character they could've chosen from. This is the sort of thing I disapprove of - Bryan Singer wouldn't have done so.

WETA's digital FX were amazing as usual - making both Patrick Stewart and Ian MacKellan appear 20 years younger was cool... and the "evil Bilbo" effect on Jean's face when she became Phoenix was so ugly and cool...

Speaking of Phoenix - ugh, mommybabou once complained about "Superman Writing" to me. X-Men is guilty of it. In the first film, Rogue and Wolverine meet for the first time and Rogue gives her name as "Rogue." What kind of runaway kid gives themselves a codename?! Same here: Professor X reveals that not only did he tamper with Jean's mind to help control the overwhelming powers, he talks about that schizophrenic personality with a code-name... and although Famke Jansen did a wonderful job playing a crazy, she never really answers to the name "Phoenix." In fact, unless you're a comics geek, you'd be hard-pressed to explain to anyone else what this whole Rogue and Phoenix naming thing was all about... at least, not from watching the films.

And last but not least: my thoughts on the Danger Room.Thumbs up: we've waited forever to see the Danger Room - and we also waited for an eternity to see Colossus and Wolverine perform the "Fastball Special."Thumbs down: We actually saw the Fastball special. First of all, what works in comics doesn't necessarily look right in live-action film. And secondly, it made me realize that although he was there the whole time, we hardly ever got any screen time on Colossus.

OK I lied: one more ...Boliver Trask, the creator of the Sentinel anti-mutant robots. Well, we got a Sentinel ...albiet a Danger Room simulated one... ok we got a look at the head. I got all excited when the President told Trask "stop them by any means necessary." But alas, we wouldn't be seeing any more Sentinels in action. Ah well.
****spoilers above****

So with all that, I must say that it didn't disappoint. In that "Batman Begins" way, it wasn't fantasy action movie and was marred by a few minor points, but I get the feeling it'll be one of those films that I'll like more with each viewing...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw it last night and I felt like they had left alot of the movie on the editing room floor. It felt like they rushed the character development to get to the big fight scene and I was disappointed that it didn't seem to follow the comic or even the cartoon.....it was good but coulda been better....