Thursday, March 02, 2006

"Rainbows!" moment

In an old episode of South Park, Eric Cartman refuses to admit he's an idiot during some conversation after going way off on a tangent that had nothing to do with anything...

Cartman: "I hate rainbows... I hate how I'm just sitting
around minding my own business and then crawl up the back of my leg and
then bite the inside of my ass..."
Kyle: "Dude, what are you talking about? Rainbows are those
bright colours in the sky after it rains!"
C: "Oh Rain-BOWS! Rainbows are cool, I like
those."
K: "Wait, what were you talking about?"
C:" Nothing."
Stan: "No, Cartman, what crawls up your leg and bites the
inside of your ass?"
C: "NOTHING!!"


So I'm sitting in my living room this morning with several minutes to spare... I pick up the latest copy of my AT-AT manual (the special rules that go with that "bigature" I bought last weekend). It mentions that rather than making an "attack" like normal characters, the walker may "activate" its cannons once per ROUND. Huh? What do they mean "Round?"
Go back to the original rulebook for Star Wars Minis... the game is divided into "rounds" and "phases" and each character gets what is known as a "turn."

Oh crap... all this time I've been playing the game wrong.

The rulebook went onto explain with an example using one of the Jedi with special powers. In the example, the Jedi uses the Force once per turn - she runs extra fast so her playing piece moves farther along the board than normal. But that's her one power for her turn. But then, in the same "round" the opposing player begins their "phase" and decides to attack... Since it is an another character's "turn", the Jedi now has the chance to protect herself with another Force ability.
All this time I thought a "Turn" meant all the characters had to have their moves resolved (that's actually the whole round).

That'll learn me to read the rules more carefully. oops... luckily I've only been playing in the privacy of my own home and haven't had a chance to embarrass myself. ^_^

No comments: