Wednesday, March 22, 2006

New hotness: front columns

Yup - the box is as big as it looks in the photo: on end it comes right up to my shoulders. ^_^;


I don't care if they're being discontinued or something (Futureshop's web site doesn't even list Yamaha product anymore). All I know is that the deal was too good when I spotted 60% off retail. I snagged this pair of NS-125FP front column speakers for a sweat $160 plus sales tax. And they do sound good.

Just gave a few action scenes from X2: X-Men United a spin and the dialogue was crisp and clearer than I recall. I think all this time I simply hadn't tweaked my setup properly. The front speakers used to be a set of multi-directionals loaned to me from my father - and the surrounds were loaners from a friend. With the new columns, I moved the multis to the back and got rid of my friends' loaners. Now my surround effects have a wider ambiant range (for stuff like cricket noises and whatnot) while the tighter new speakers in the front can concentrate on dialogue and higher frequency sounds ...I had to make some further tweaking to my sub-woofer's crossover but I dare say things haven't sounded this good before.

Hmm... Maybe I ought to get rid of that loaner centre channel as well... Just waiting for the right price.

No comments: