Sunday, May 24, 2009

A look at the Storm Arachns

I have no idea what these are, but they look suitably nasty. I'm guessing that much like the time I picked up a Nina Zero/Babylon Zero, the rules governing these playing pieces will be in the Operation: Frostbite expansion that's currently in the mail (at least, yes, it has the O:F logo on the back this box).
All I've gathered is that this from the latest product "wave" in the line. One thing I like (and don't like) is the individual twist ties securing each figure to the tray. Hopefully this is a new trend that will prevent something like my shattered Baal Golgoth incident from happening again. The try is still a "snap-in" so you can get the figures back in for storage without the twist ties. Something typical of the later releases that I'm glad to see back is the slot in the tray to hold the unit cards.But enough about the packaging. I want to rave about something that's been a very long time coming: a real mounting point. In past Therian figures suffered from irreparable (or repeated) damage if their feet ever disconnected from their base - their claw-feet simply don't have enough surface area to glue properly.

The set comes with 2 variations of the same card (one with artwork depicting the Relay option, the other without). At a glance I don't know why I would ever field these over, say Grim Golems. I guess it's one of those cost things when you're trying to fill a 1-star rank slot in your platoon pattern. Hopefully they're cheap.

No comments: