Friday, May 15, 2009

Incomplete Support Sites

You wanna know what grinds my gears? An incomplete web-site that covers "most" situations but won't necessarily cover YOUR situation.
 
When I got back from Montreal last weekend I was both pleased and disappointed with my latest Monster booster box for Monsterpocalypse. I was happy to find the Terra Khan figures. Not that they're hard to find, but it would end up being a good gift for my brother who wants to collect and play as the Terrasaurs faction. I was disappointed to find I had a pretty serious defect: one of the figures had the wrong base on it.
 
If I haven't explained previously, let me do a quick rundown: Monsters come in sets. You get a blind-boxed set including the basic form and the powered-up form. Throughout the game you play until both forms have been reduced to zero life. So if the stats are wrong, or the figures in the set are mismatched, then that pretty much renders the set unplayable and useless (other than having a colourful miniature to look at).
 
So of course, since can't do the obvious thing: drive all the way back to Montreal to ask for help at the store where I bought it, I did the next most logical thing: I went to the official Monsterpocalypse site. The Support page is fairly helpful if only just a little ambiguous. There are steps to follow depending on what's wrong. They covered damaged figures, missing figures, mismatched figures... but not really "broken in the sense it hasn't been assembled with the right parts." There is however, a helpfully listed email address...
 
...which doesn't seem to be active.
 
You see, of this whole situation worked out quite well in the end... only it took almost 3 days to get some action. After waiting for 2 days, I browsed the players' forum at the site until I found other users who had questions about getting help for defective figures. Someone posted an email address known as "frontdesk." Thankfully, this address proved much more useful than the one on the support page. The response seemed to indicate I should do exactly as it says for "misprinted" figures (a section that doesn't exist on the support page but I rememeber reading on the forum that a misprint was considered "broken.")
 
I contacted my brother one last time to confirm if it was worth my effort to mail in the defect (he said yes). Today I printed out the email and the report form to fill out. Unfortunately I'm in the office all day so it won't be until after business hours before I can stop at the post office to send it out.
 
I'll keep you posted on how this turns out. Will they get back to me or will my report go into the aether? Will it be a whole new replacement (body and base) sent to me or just a correct replacement base for me to glue my figure onto? Or will they accidentally send me the wrong replacement figure and send the figure corresponding to the WRONG base I returned? So many possibilities. And so few correct ones... Hmm...

No comments: