Sunday, April 15, 2007

Useless battery

I had a "Oh RainBOWs" moment this morning (South Park fans know what I'm talking about). I picked up an SD card for my digital camera yesterday and to my dismay the thing started acting weird. Seems that the batteries I had just don't have enough juice to power the SD card. I would plug in the USB cable and the camera wouldn't power on. Or I'd flip the switch to review mode and then to shoot mode and it wouldn't power on. And the only explanation I have is that there is an SD in it (because the camera started to behave normally when I'd pull it out).

I now blame the batteries (a set of Energizer NiMH) because obviously an SD card is an SD card, whether it's an expensive one or a cheap one, either it works or it doesn't, but it should crash a camera? Anyhow, when stuck in the freshly charged "batterypack" that came with the camera bundle I bought (Kodak's house brand no less)... surprise, everything seemed to work just fine.

At first I doubted the batteries could be a problem... but I realised upon review today that those Energizers are actually only 1850mAh whereas the usual NiMH batteries today are about 2200MAh (including those battery packs that came in my bundle kit). Which is kind of a sad situation because at one point I recall buying those Energizers thinking "I'll never buy a polluting product like disposable alkaline batteries again." I don't even own anything that takes exactly 4 AAs anymore. Fate must be laughing her ass off at me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Intresting! Nobody ever pays attention to these kind of things. Of course the companies don't bother to ionform, so we continue buying things, screwing them up and then buying more...