Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Fresh from the box!!

Here it is...
Picked up my new Smart Parts ION paint marker from the post office today. I'll admit I'm feeling a just a tiny bit strange to be talking about a device that resembles and functions so much like a fire-arm in light of what's happened in the States this week. But really, I'm just also a bit excited. I plan to take this over to see Weirdguy on the weekend (who has the same model marker) so that he can show me all the little ins and outs of this sucker.

Initial reactions:

1) Whoa - that's a huge hopper on top. And I'm a little upset that despite all the marketing, the Pulse loader does NOT come with the "optional" 9V battery pack. It's built to accept a possible future product that will allow a pair of 9V batteries but in its stock configuration, only takes SIX (6) AA batteries! Yikes!


2) Yeah, I can see why Weirdguy recommended a quick-release feed-neck. It's insanely difficult to put on the and take off the hopper. I hope I haven't broken anything while trying to remove the Pulse hopper - I think I heard the feed neck "creak" while trying to ease the thing off (might've been the O-rings straining against me though.

3) *sigh* thank you PBL for pleasantly surprising me. Their site listed only a generic air tank but it turns out to be a DXS brand tank worth about a hundred bucks.

Now to visit the local pro-shop to get the tank filled and pick up the correct size batteries (I had stocked up on 9V for nothing it seems; nobody told me the ION itself came with a battery in its box).

4 comments:

Weirdguy said...

You never asked about the Ion coming with a battery or not...

MrBabou said...

Keep your 9V batteries for your smoke detectors :-)

Asaciel said...

Ion? What does it do?

Ben-Ohki said...

Eh? I guess it's not a well-known sport in Singapore. Paintball is a game of 5 or 6-person teams on a field with many obstacles to hide behind. Players must shoot opposing players with with small capsules containing a paint-substance...

"ION" is a popular paint-marker for beginners because it is affordable but has reliable electronics like the expensive ones.