Friday, April 13, 2007

Lament of the T615C

So I'm sitting on the can without an ebook and I remember I haven't followed up on my T615C happenings mentioned in a previous post this week. Actually, come to think of it, there are several things left dangling since the beginning of the year like my write-up about the Ultraman Dyna movie DVD or the beautiful hardbound volume of Marvel's Annihilation I picked up over a month ago.

A few years ago Sony was in the PDA market in North America. They are still in it elsewhere but not here; which is kind of sad because they're specs were superior to Palm (not unlike Beta video tapes or Mini-Discs; another bites the dust). The T615C claim to fame was a gorgeous TFT full-colour LCD screen and that it was the thinnest device available... in fact it remains one of the prettiest, I think given today's convergence of technology what with Blackberry phones, etc. Too bad it's tech level didn't actually scale forward (it was outdated almost as soon as it came out - trapping me in a PalmOS4 world, no MP3, no memory-stick pro expansions, etc.).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - my battery has been acting up. Besides being slave to the weather (when it gets REAL cold, the Clie thinks the charge is low). This week the battery completely died taking the internal RAM with it. Which means my ebook software got "uninstalled" and I've lost my address book among other things. However it does seem to be working okay on boot. I guess I could be thankful that the thing has been losing its purpose in life lately. This somewhat softens the blow. The address book and all related "Outlook" data hasn't been synched in an eternity (I never did find a sync conduit for Thunderbird). Instead I use ReminderFox at home and a bunch of Post-It notes like everyone else. So much for the paperless office.

I just need to find out where my CD-ROM full of Honor Harrington ebooks have gone to. But first I need to reinstall the Mobi ebook reader (which thankfully was also something I archived because it was "acquired through alternative means.") One thing that does retain its function is a legit Documents to Go that was originally bundled with this PDA. And now that I've given up using pirated MS Word in favour of OpenOffice Writer, I can do my writing on the go with a clear conscience. Not that I do a lot of writing outside of blogging anymore.

What a funny road it's been with my T615C.

1 comment:

MrBabou said...

I do remember it was nice and bright. I do also remember all the hassles you had with the keyboard you could use with it ;-)

Well, that's the way technology goes, unfortunately. It's either gonna break, or be outdated. Anyway you look at it, you lose. But you have lots of fun :-D